Is It Possible To Compete In The NPC With Natural Hair?

This is a video response to a question I received a few months back. I’m giving my personal story and my thoughts on competing with natural hair. Please comment! I want to hear from you!

Every step of the way God set something or someone on my path and it was always enough to keep me going! I decided to do this competition 100% clean. I was not taking 50 million supplements and DID NOT take steroids (which is common in this sport). God gave me all the strength that I needed. I coached myself up until the last two weeks. I got some great tip and advice from competitors, not to mention I did a ton of personal research.

Many people told me NOT to wear my natural hair. I went against everything I was told and stayed true to myself and my convictions!! These are just a few of the opportunities that I faced that gave me a chance to rely on God.

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/thefitnessjem
Site: http://www.jenaemilyutley.com

M U S I C
I do not own the music in this video:
Song: Slide B & Sunfresh
Artist: Xk Production

She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh without fear of the future. -Proverbs 31:25

1. twin Paul says:

What exercise do you do for 60th plus.

2. Julia Maria says:

Thanks for this info. I am about to show for the first time and this helped me to figure out my hair for it. Yes…I want to keep the curls…thinking of going up-do.

3. SexxyMsThing says:

I enjoyed this video ,im late in the game but i am working on that bodybuilding build without the excess plus im vegan and have Locs lol i may not even get noticed…..but thank you for this video….God is always in the midst!

4. Congratulations Jena, you are a real star and I'm really glad that you have made the great decision to put Christ first.  You have a very beautiful face and body is well.  I'm very glad you won.  Blessings.

5. MusicGirl248 says:

What do you eat? Can you do a meal prep video?

6. Debbie Reid says:

Wow you are super beautiful inside and out. This video is so inspiring and is something i'm aiming to do. You looked totally amazing and proved to everyone that owning who you truly are is key. Thank you so much for the inspiration and upliftment!! 🙂

7. Maurina Lee says:

I step on stage in 2 weeks, and have been really unsure about how to wear my hair. Thank you for this video! Natural girls need to be showcased in NPC shows.

8. Me says:

Beautiful! Your confidence and faith is wonderful, I am sure that the judges felt that.

9. ANewCee says:

Subscribed to your channel because this is the first video I came across when I was searching for "natural hair and black fitness". Thank you for this video because it has furthered proved even more that natural hair is starting to become more prominent in the sports and figure competing communities. I am, as well, in the process of losing weight and on the journey towards figure competition in the future on my channel. Check it out when you can! Thanks again for this video and looking forward to watching your other videos and more videos from you in the future. Continue being great!

10. Fit at 50 says:

You are so true abt our natural hair, others will not get use to seeing it if we continue to hide it. Love my natural Hair : )

11. Deyana Lewis says:

Amen! Thanks for your testimony. I'm thinking of competing for my first competition in May. During my research I saw that the competitors are predominantly white and the black women were not wearing their natural hair. This detoured me because I'm opposed to confirming to what society thinks how we should wear our hair. Your video truly blessed me and gave me the confidence to pursue the upcoming competition. Thanks Queen!!

12. Thank you for this video. We as black woman must continue to tear down wall of ignorance regarding our natural hair. When a black woman is fit, she's a thing of pure beauty. Hiding our hair is no longer an option as there is nothing wrong with our natural hair. As one who've loved fitness and bodybuilding, biggest barrier is coveing my natural hair under a wig. But watching your video, and also being natural over 20 years, I've decided to wear my beautiful natural 4 B/C/D hair with pride!

13. OMG! Thank you for doing this video!!! I will be stepping on stage in exactly 3 weeks and I am just now starting to think about my hair, make up and etc!!! I am going to rock my natural hair – no question about it and I am going to do it with soooo much confidence! You looked beautiful!!!!! Thank you again!!!

14. I'm so happy I come across your video. I have been interested in competing for the bikini category. I started to doubt myself bc of my hair and shape. buy after watching your video I realize that I will never know my potential if i dont try. thank you, thank you, thank you!

15. Cheapnista says:

I love your hair!! Would you consider doing a hair tutorial on your channel?

16. Is that Tiffany daryln in the video clip of u at the competition? Anyway u looked gorgeous

17. LisaReaun says:

Love this!! Love love love it! All kind of truth spoken! You've inspired me to truly wear and own mines and not hide it because it's not accepted in corporate America! Thank you!

18. Thank you!!! I've been pondering figure competitions and was saying to myself if I do compete I'm wearing my hair big and Bodacious! This insight was received.

19. Jay Larcher says:

"don't put a little water and gel" I love that! I think that applies also to life in general. Most people even in the black community don't like natural hair because they see women walking around with "a little water and gel".  If we want people to love our hair, we should take care of it and love it too.

20. OMG…this video just convicted me on a deep level.  I wear my hair natural and am 2.5 weeks out from my first figure competition.  My coach has made it clear that the judges are looking for straight long Victoria Secret type of look (long flowing hair) and strongly encourages team members to wear hair extensions.  I've never worn hair extensions and haven't put direct heat to my hair in almost a year.  I've been so torn about what I'm going to do, but I feel like I'm selling out by wearing my hair the way I'm told because it's the norm.  Please keep me in prayer on this, and thanks so much for sharing this video.  God bless!

21. Quinn Terry says:

I'm preparing for my first show too and didn't know how to wear my hair too. You look AMAZING!! God bless u…I'm rocking the natural too!!

22. Great Job!!! You are dynamic and continue to press on! Glad we met!

23. +rightbyfaith I'm glad you got something out of it!

24. deafton1 says:

Thank you so much for responding! Great advice!!!!!

25. rightbyfaith says:

Totally appreciated this video! Thanks for sharing!